The Benefits of Teletherapy
In our increasingly digitally connected world, therapy is another area that has caught on to the digital connection and many people are using it to get the support they need. Getting therapy this way is called “teletherapy” and has been increasingly used over the past decade to deliver mental health services. Since the COVID-19 outbreak struck, many more therapists are offering teletherapy because it is the safest alternative at this point.
You may have wondered what this type of therapy would be like or how this could be possible! You might even wonder if you should see seek out a therapist during these pressing times. With everything changing, this may be another stressor added to your life. It doesn’t have to be! In fact, protecting your mental health and your relationships is just as important as protecting your physical health during this pandemic.
Although you and your therapist may rather see each other face to face, having teletherapy is the best next option. Remember, teletherapy sessions work exactly the same as face to face except you are not in the same room as your therapist.
You are probably questioning what this new kind of therapy might mean or how it works. It means that you will be receiving remote sessions through a video teleconferencing platform. Using video teleconferencing will help you and your therapist to communicate. You can use videoconferencing individually or with your spouse. Many people wonder how you can offer marriage counseling this way. We have seen many couples and it has been working out really well.
Believe it or not, there are some major benefits to receiving teletherapy! Studies have found teletherapy to be as effective as in-person therapy. Teletherapy can treat most issues and a wide range of conditions such as anxiety, depression, trauma, stress, and relationship issues. Here are some other benefits to teletherapy:
1.Teletherapy may save you time traveling to your therapist’s office. Sometimes the commute after work can be a major rush if you are trying make it to your therapist’s office on time. This will eliminate your commute in general.
2. Better health. While you are no longer able to see your therapist face to face, this can slow the spread of Covid-19 and other diseases.
3. Teletherapy sessions are still private. You no longer have to sit in a waiting room and run the risk of seeing someone you know. You have the luxury of sitting in your own comfortable space at home. Therapists are legally and ethically bound not to share details about your therapy sessions, just as face to face sessions.
4. Accessible to more people. Teletherapy is accessible to people who are living in rural areas . It removes any barriers-physical, mental, or emotional-towards seeking out therapy.
5. It creates a safe environment. Teletherapy alleviates the anxiety that you may have about walking into your therapists office. This may help you familiarize yourself with the process of therapy in the comfort of your own home.
6. New opportunities. Teletherapy offers you the opportunity to connect with a therapist that you really like but is too far away to see in person.
We are offering teletherapy so that we can continue to provide you with the services you need for your health and wellbeing. When it is safe to open our office again you will have the option to come in and see us face to face or continue with teletherapy sessions.
We understand that seeking out therapy is still sometimes difficult for some people in ordinary times and in these uncertain times it may make it even more difficult. We are here to help you ease your fears. If you are interested in learning more about teletherapy please reach out to us. We would be happy to answer any questions or concerns.
LCSW Modern Family Counseling